Fair Market Value is the value listed in the Department of Revenue assessment manual minus trade-in for dealer sales. If not listed in the assessment manual, use the greater of the value from the bill of sale or the “clean retail” value from the NADA guide, January 1, 2014 edition, minus trade-in value for dealer sales.
>> Download Current 2014 Vehicle Valuation Manual
Click this button to proceed.
PLEASE NOTE: After you click the green button, you will see this question, “Are you the registered owner of this vehicle?” Always choose NO.
1. Type in the VIN
2. Check “No,” that you are NOT THE REGISTERED OWNER.
3. Then, click “Enter.” The FMV Value will appear in the gray box (see below). [DO NOT FILL IN ANY OTHER FIELDS. YOU ARE DONE.]
Click to enlarge.
For obtaining the TAVT amount the formula would be as follows: FMV * 6.75% = TAVT.
For a used motor vehicle not listed in the manual, FMV is the value from the bill of sale or the “clean retail” value provided by NADA (National Automobile Dealers Assoc.), January 2013 Edition, whichever is higher.
TAVT QUICK REFERENCE GUIDE FOR DEALERS
- Motor vehicle dealers should collect the state and local title ad valorem tax fee (“TAVT”) from customers purchasing vehicles on or after March 1, 2013, that will be titled in Georgia. Payment of the TAVT provides an exemption from sales tax on the motor vehicle and the purchaser will also be exempt from the annual ad valorem tax, or “birthday tax”. The title application fee of $18 and tag fees still apply.
- TAVT should be collected by the dealer and submitted, along with the application for certificate of title (Form MV-1), to the county where the vehicle will be registered.A list of Georgia tag offices with respective mailing addresses can be found here
- The TAVT and application for title must be received by the county within ten (10) days of the date of purchase or a late penalty will be assessed against the dealer.
- Generally, the TAVT is calculated by multiplying the applicable rate times the Fair Market Value (“FMV”), as defined by law.
If the sale included a trade-in, the FMV is first reduced by that amount before multiplying by the applicable rate to determine the TAVT due. (FMV – Trade-in) x Rate = TAVT liability.
Tag Office Locator
Please use this convenient link to reach the Georgia Tax Commissioner’s Tag Office Location. MVD Office Hours: 7:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. Monday thru Friday excluding state holidays.
>> Tax Commissioner’s Tag Office Locator Tool
>> Cities and Counties Database: http://georgia.gov/municipality-list